From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:30:58 -0500
Henry,
The truth is that America only feels comfortable celebrating history that is
favorable to Europeans.  One of my ancestors, Mary Bowden, was seven years
old when Augustine Washington Senior (George Washington's father), received
a thirty-year indenture for her.  That means that she was a slave until the
age of thiry-seven. Mary rebelled by running away twice, and returning to
her people (she was not African, but mixed Native/white).  Both times a
bounty was put on her head and she was returned to the Washington
Plantation. The question that I have is why Augustine Senior was so
interested in indenturing a seven year old "Mulatto" child.

These facts are sad, but true.  America is a Country that celebrates
Egyptian Society (3,000 years ago), and Asian Culture (5,000 years old), but
the descendants of slaves in this country are shouted down.

Thank you Henry for having the courage to go against the prevailing thought.

Anita Wills

Anita L. Wills
PO box 3571
San Lendro CA 94578-0571