From:
Excalibur131 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2007 23:24:59 -0500
Perhaps I wasn't clear. In the same sentence one group of people are
identified in a formal, politically correct manner - "African-Americans,"
while the second group of people are identified in an informal, politically
incorrect manner - "white folks." The sentence has nothing to do with
"identification issues" as you suggest, but does have a lot to do with how
one group can be held to one standard, while the other group is not held to
the same standard? However, your question is valid. "Is it too much to ask?"
Too much to ask for the standard to be applied equally? In the context of
"African-Americans" and "white folks," reverse the roles of the two groups
in the sentence. The same sentence could be written, but would the people
reading it find it acceptable?

Tom
Eastern Shore & More Forum
http://www.easternshoremore.com/forum/