From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 11:05:21 -0400
Not only a wonderful vote of confidence for libraries, but a small window
into how the Cabells felt about saving the coin of the realm :))  I think,
but am not sure, that in the 1870's Alexander Brown inherited most of the
Cabell books and papers which still remained in the old home site (Union
Hill), but that upon his death these passed to a distant relative who
declared bankruptcy and all the books were sold to the four winds.

Fortunately, many Cabell papers have survived and there are large
collections at Alderman, Swemm and the Virginia Historical Society.  These
are being catalogued under a special project, to be made available on the
Internet,  hopefully before the ides of August.  Watch this space :))

Randy Cabell