From:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:38:53 -0500
Stick or no stick, Powhatan did, indeed, send a man to England with
Pocahontas and John Rolfe in 1616, and he was required to count the
people and trees there and report back when he returned. Hakluyt or
somebody interviewed him in London, and he mentioned that he had been
instructed to count the people and trees, a labor that the Indian, whose
name escapes me (I haven't the sources in my office) speedily abandoned.

Not having seen the movie, I refrain from anything further remarks.

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Visit the Library of Virginia's web site at http://www.lva.lib.va.us