From:
Rick Paddock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 21:27:07 -0600
 Paul wrote:

"Do I understand you to say that this "gritty and determined" woman's family

did not free any of their slaves but instead fought a war to maintain
slavery, and we are supposed to feel sorry for her that she faced such a
hard time without the slaves and the horses commandered by the millionaire
slave-trader Nathan Forrest?"

--------------------
No.

I implied that she faced troubled times because of the havoc wrought by the
Civil War, like most people living in the South. That the former slave did
also goes without saying. Many families in this county were torn apart as
some siblings fought for the South while others fought for the Union.
Unfortunately, I do not know which side her two brothers fought on. I
suspect the brother at Vicksburg was a Confederate.

I submitted this to show the character of her AND the former slave. I was
not suggesting anyone should feel sorry for either of them. I was adding to
and supporting Loretta's comments.

Forrest's record speaks for itself. My remarks were not about him.

Regards, Rick