From:
Herbert Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2012 18:29:52 -0500
Prof. Finkelman if Madison Hemings told us that he was named by Dolley
Madison (correct spelling), are we not to "assume" that he was correct, or
at least Monticello did? A Monticello DNA Study was made based upon his
statements, correct or incorrect. I and others believe he or the author lied
and the author, Samuel Wetmore, WAS an abolitionist (see In Defense of
Thomas Jefferson, The Sally Hemings Sex Scandal) by William G. Hyland, Jr.

Wetmore even used the old Harriet Beecher Stowe (author of Uncle Tom's
Cabin), subtitle for his title, Life among the Lowly. The Pike Co. article
was heavily attacked one week later by the politically opposition newspaper,
The Waverly Watchman. You will note that NOWHERE does Madison or Wetmore
state that HIS MOTHER actually told him that.

No one doubts that he was named for James Madison but the doubt is the date
claimed. Can we imagine that Dolley Madison, living in Washington,
supporting Mr Jefferson as part time Hostess at the White House, would
announce that she must rush to Monticello and name a slave child after her
husband....what if the child had been a female? Braving the severe winter
(Jan. 19, 1805) she would trek over rivers and bad roads for three or four
days to reach her goal, without benefit of companionship of her husband or
Mr Jefferson. To top off this tirade the statement is made that "like all
white slave owners Dolley did not follow through with a promised gift."

There are several doubtful statements made in this Pike Co, Ohio article
such as the claim that Mr Jefferson and Sally had made a "contract" to free
Sally's siblings at age 21..........SO why didn't he? Is he not a man of his
word? Harriet II was allowed to "run away" at age 21 while her brother
Beverly was held until age 24 before he was permitted to "run away." These
are just two of several unproven claims. Has anyone questioned why it was
more than five years after Mr Jefferson and Sally returned to Monticello
from Paris before she had her first recorded child?

Yes, I did drop an "e" in one of my spellings of Dolley but does that
deserve a complete paragraph in a busy and valuable VA-HIST post......where
are your priorities?

Herb Barger
www.tjheritage.org
www.jeffersondnastudy.com