From:
Rhonda Roebuck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2023 07:44:00 -0400
All of this is very interesting!  I would love to see a database of artisans.
I was in a small group that researched the Blue Ridge Railroad that went over the mountain at the Rockfish Gap.  In Albemarle, Augusta, and Nelson counties there are many railroad workers in the 1850 census.  Most are simply listed as a laborer.  We were able to find the same names from the census on the Blue Ridge Railroad payroll.  Most of them were from Ireland. The payroll was found at the Library of Virginia.  I don’t know what other companies may have payrolls at the Library, but it was an incredible resource.
Rhonda Roebuck