From:
Tom Reedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2007 08:12:01 -0600
> From:    Clara Callahan asked:
> In colonial Virginia was it common for females who could not write to use
> the first letter of their maiden names as their mark on legal documents?

You mean if she was married? I doubt it.

>  For example, If a piece of land was sold by a man named Gunther to a man
> named Jones and if the witnesses were named John Doe and Joseph Doe and if
> Gunther's wife relinquished dower and made her mark "D," would it be
> reasonable to think that her maiden name might be Doe?

I would say that would be a stretch, although it is in the realm of
possibility.

I have seen many marks and initials used as signatures during my research,
both in England and America. A cross (commonly misconstrued as an "x") was
commonly used to sign official papers and warrants.  It symbolized the cross
of Christ, and carried the same weight as an oath. John Shakespeare, William
Shakespeare's father, signed corporation minutes using as his mark a pair of
compasses, the symbol of a glover. When signing legal documents, he used a
cross.

Other common marks were an initial, both initials, or some kind of mark that
indicated the attester’s occupation.

Making a mark on a document did not necessarily mean the attester was
illiterate. We have numerous examples of people who could write who used a
mark on a legal document. In 1571 Adrian Quiney was elected bailiff of
Stratford, and he signed corporation minutes with a mark, even though we
know he could sign his name, for letters written and signed by him survive.
Even in the 19th century a cross or an "x" ("his mark") was used by people
who could read and write.

Just for what it's worth, my own signature could be interpreted more as a
mark than a signature.

Tom Reedy