From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:18:02 -0500
Basil,

Whatever in the world did Jimmy Carter do to offend you? And, as to Bill
Clinton, if you take his personal life off the table, what was his offense?
His personal life was no more eggregious that that of other presidents and
politicians, and less offensive than some.

I was under the, perhaps mistaken, impression that President Grant was
Ulysses S., not Hiram.

As to your comments about the acceptance of the constitution by various
states, I would submit that since the constitution is silent on secession,
it's possibility was not entertained by those who wrote it. In any event, it
became the supreme law of the land, as you contend in your condemnation of
Lincoln, and was therefore to be followed by all the states. Even if you
resort to the wording of the conditions of signing the constitution, the
secession was not chosen by "the people" of the south, but by a handful of
disgruntled politicos who were intent on power-grubbing, not on representing
their constituents.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/stevepem