From:
Jurretta Heckscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:39:36 -0500
However limited European-Indian mixing may have been, present-day
anecdotal evidence suggests that intermixing between Afro-Virginians
and Native peoples was widespread.

My source: oral family histories produced by the students my husband
taught in a predominantly African-American middle school in Prince
George's County, Maryland, in the late 1990s, a very high proportion of
which claimed Indian ancestry.

Of course I have no way of verifying the students' claims, but they
stand as either genealogical evidence or as (equally interesting)
evidence of cultural identification.

Recall that Prince George's County was historically entirely typical of
the tobacco-plantation economy that characterized the early
Chesapeake--so much so that it formed the basis for Allan Kulikoff's
important study Tobacco and Slaves: The Development of Southern
Cultures in the Chesapeake, 1680-1800 (Chapel Hill: UNC Press for the
Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture,
Williamsburg, 1986).  And though not all these students had long family
roots in the county, many did.  So I am guessing that African-American
families in present-day Virginia also cite Indian ancestry in very high
numbers.

But there must be a number of people on this list who know much more
about this subject than I do.  Can someone shed some light on it?
Thanks.

--Jurretta