From:
Melinda Skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:48:06 +0000
With the current diminishing attention span and knowledge of history by the general public, one of the driving forces in getting any "history" message and building interest these days is a hit film.  I was hoping that "The New World" would be a better film (or at least do better at the box office).  It would have been a terrific pr/marketing tool for the 2007 celebration.  Even Disney's "Pocahontas" was a helpful bit of pop culture to spark interest in Virginia history.
That's the world we live in.
-Melinda
--
Alliance to Conserve Old Richmond