From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2011 09:13:03 -0500
Someone alerted VA-HIST to fact that Fairfax library system has a free
online index to area newspapers including the Alexandria Gazette:
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/virginia/varoom/newsindx/

My quick search for 'Alvey' turned up only:

Alexandria Gazette  6/13/1855  03 Alvey John Q.A. On Young Catholic's
committee

Alexandria Gazette  6/22/1855  03 Alvey John Q. A. Young Catholic's Friends
Soc.

Alexandria Gazette  12/15/1860  02 Alvey & Lipscombe Reference, servant hire
agent

Alexandria Gazette  7/3/1862  1 Alvey Samuel R. Accused of extortion
But you may have other search terms that work.  Any index is better than
none and some are quite good and thorough, but this is not a full-text
keyword search engine.

Good luck.

Jon Kukla
www.JonKukla.com <http://www.jonkukla.com/>