From:
Hank Trent <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hank Trent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2013 10:39:28 -0400
Eatonton was the capital of Putnam County, Georgia in the 1800s. Here's an
1860 gazetteer with a summary of information on it:
http://books.google.com/books?id=ZEoOAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA109&output=html

That says lots were first sold in 1808, soon after Putnam County was split
out from Baldwin County in 1807, and it was a typical growing county seat
after that.

Why do you think the name was referring to such a large area? I can't think
of any name in the 1800s that would cover South Carolina, parts of Tennessee
and Virginia, other than some general term like "south" or "southeast."

Hank Trent