From:
Stuart Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:36:47 -0500
Just to round out the possibilities existing for such material, one can
also look at the amnesty and pardon records in Record Group 59, Records
of the Department of State, in the National Archives at College Park,
Maryland.  Given the information Mr Hendricks has provided, it is not
likely he will find what he is looking for, but perhaps others may not
know about the RG 59 material.  The largest series is Entry 466, the
amnesty oaths, 78 feet. 1864-66, arranged by state, thereunder
alphabetically, with no overall index.  The other large series is Entry
472, Pardons Under Amnesty Proclamations, 1865-66, 6 feet, 25 volumes
indexed in each volume. None of this material is on microfilm and must
be examined at the research rooms in College Park.  An inquiry to the
staff there might result in their researching the indexes for you.  The
web site for the Archives is www.nara.gov.

Stuart Butler