From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2014 08:28:09 -0700
Kevin:

Thanks for this.  It is very helpful and sets out the issue quite well. And of course Kevin is right, the vast majority of free blacks DID NOT come from Virginia. As Kevin suggests, one of the major industries of the state seems to have been exporting human being as commodities to be sold elsewhere, or to be carried elsewhere as master migrated.  Either way, the state produced more misery than any other state.

It is also possible that VA had an even great growth in slaves (and thsu exported even more slaves) because it was a much healthier place to live that Mississippi or Louisiana.  And growing/processing tobacco, cotton, and wheat was less physically dangerous than rice or sugar.