From:
Virginia E Hench <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 08:53:58 -1000
 It has been a while since I practiced in Virginia, but women in Virginia
from early times could hold certain property as their "sole, separate and
equitable estates." The woman in question might have had property
inherited from, for instance, her father which she held separately. If you
need more info I can do some research - this is just from memory.

 Ginny Hench (law prof)