From:
Maitland Westbrook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 05:59:03 -0800
Anne,

Excuse me for the 'fat finger' error and poor spell checking; however, we
both know what I mean, so the 'rib' at me to lessen my input is
understood.

Any way you wish to rationlize it...Lincoln, while negations were
UNDERWAY, lied and planned to force the South's hand.  The last thing the
South wanted was war, but felt forced into it by Lincoln's dishonesty and
lies.

Also, we both know, Lincoln could have continued the negations as well and
not sent the ship in the first place and, also, not to call for 75,000
troops to put down a rebellion that never happened.  Both parties could
have returned to negations, as the South requested many times during the
war.  If the call for the 75,000 troops had never gone out (an authority
Lincoln did not constitutionally have, by the way), the last 4 states
would not have secceeded, to include Virginia, much more lessening the
chance of war.

War is something the South did not want, but the North did, in order to
maintian their control over the Southern ports, or, as they said, to
maintain the union.

The ship, by the way, laid off shore, and, along with other warships with
it, did nothing to return fire, etc.; it then returned to the New York
harbor where it set off from.

Per Bruce Catton: "Lincoln had been plainly warned by [his military
advisers] that a ship taking provisions to Fort Sumpter would be fired on.
 Now he was sending the ship, with advance notice to the men who had the
guns.  He was sending ships and soldiers as well...If there was going to
be a war it would begin over a boat load of salt port and crackers..."

Per Shelby Foote: "Lincoln had maneuvered [the Confederates] into the
position of having either to back down on their threats or elsse to fire
the first shot of the war..."

Additionally:  Buffalo Daily Courier (Apr 16, 1861): The afair at Fort
Sumter...has been planned as a means by which the war feeling of the north
should be intensified."  New York Evening Day Book (Apr 17, 1861):
'...that the event at Fort Sumter was "a cunning devised scheme" contrived
"to arouse, and, if possible, exasperate the northern[sic] people against
the South."' and, The Jersey City American Standard (Apr 12, 1861):
"...there is a madness and ruthlessness [in Lincoln's behavior] which is
astounding...this unarmed vessell...is a mere decoy to draw the first fire
from the people of the South, which act by the pre-determination of the
[Federal] government is to be the pretext for letting loose the horrors of
war."

The South talked with the north in trying to avoid war, but they [the
Norht] talked out of one side of it's mouth in the form of A. Loncoln,
while he was making plans to force the issue at Fort Sumter, even after he
has said he would abandon the fort.

Maitland