Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2007 13:45:21 -0500
You are absolutely right. If we think the recipe thread got people bothered
this subject will really "take the rag off the bush".....which could lead us
to a great line of discussion: old-timey expressions.
Does anyone know where the expression: "take the rag off the bush came
from"?
I know. First of all, it translates to mean something mildly astonishing
just happened.
Where it originated was from laundry days and sometimes people would drape
their damp napkins over the top of a bush to dry. Very likely it would be
something like an English boxwood bush since they are fluffy and have no
thorns which would tear the napkin. Occasionally, a black bird or a bluejay
would swoop down and snatch the napkin off of the bush and fly away with it.
So, there you go!