From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:35:09 -0500
I appreciate all the responses to the question of the origin of the
Episcopal church. I will pass them on to the author of D'Arcy .... Donna
Southall.

Now, if I may, a question of the early Church services in Jamestown. I've
always gotten the impression that they were a somewhat irreligious group,
but in the book D'Arcy, she has the hero arriving by ship in time for
sabbath worship, that lasted many hours, and when he nodded off, he was
clapped in the stocks for his transgression. The typical sabbath was three
hours of preaching, a communal lunch, and back to church for two more hours
of preaching. An awful lot of preaching that one cannot go to sleep on!These
events, to me,  sound more like the practices of the Puritans than the
Anglicans. Am I wrong?

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/stevepem