From:
Juliana Geris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2007 06:36:35 EST

In a message dated 12/22/2007 6:14:02 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

As I  recall, it was something that grew out of the Depression and somebody
(the  mysterious "They") wanted to try to spread jobs around to families
rather  than have two breadwinners in a single family.

Don't think the Depression had anything to do with  it.  My Mother was in
Virginia schools in the teens and twenties and spoke  of having only unmarried
ladies as teachers.