From:
Jurretta Heckscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:36:56 -0500
As a P.S., I should add that I have also seen the phrase "to give
[someone] his time" used in other American historical contexts to
indicate the action of a master in ending an apprentice's period of
servitude, or when a young person is released from the obligation to
work for an employer while conveying his wages to his father.  I can't
say whether this usage was ever current in Virginia, however.

Clearly, though, the term had similar applications in various types of
servitude other than slavery; and I wonder if perhaps its use in the
context of slavery derived from those situations when a slave was
permitted to hire him- or herself out and keep the wages rather than
remitting them to his/her legal owner--a situation that would have been
more or less equivalent to informal emancipation.

--Jurretta Heckscher