From:
Basil Forest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:12:14 EST
The first president of the US to decide that he need not accord the right  of
habeas corpus to US citizens was Lincoln.  See, Ex Parte  Merryman,Federal
Cases No. 9487 (1861);

The Constitution does give the Congress the right under limited
circumstances to temporarily waive the right of habeas corpus.  See  Article I, Section 9.

I doubt your quote from the Attorney General is accurate.  Do you have  a
cite?
http://www.aol.com.