From:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:58:48 EST
Janet:  I think it's too bad that such a topic seems taboo to so many.
The treatment of slaves is a point of legitimate inquiry.  Jefferson said
that slaveholding turned men into tyrants -- from his perspective one
assumes he meant it made them abusive of peoples' rights.   During the
antebellum period, abolitionists like Theodore Dwight Weld compiled
exhaustive accounts of the abuse of enslaved people -- see his _American
Slavery As It Is_ , a truly hair-raising book.  Of course, pro-slavery
writers responded that such examples were the abberations; that most
slave holders were too much economic men interested in their pursuing
their opportunities to be undermining the productivity of their labor
force through wanton abuse.   But then they're trying to justify the system.
It is true that the historical record is often skewed toward to the
abberations of human behavior: court records, for example, often don't
include people whose lives are on the straight and narrow, pay their
taxes and get along with their neighbors.  But we can't ignore the
abberations and we can't necessarily assume that slave-holders' standards
for 'good' treatment are what they say they are.  Pursuit of economic
success often meant hard-driving labor on someone's part.  The narratives
of former slaves often tell a different story of how that treatment was
experienced.
If your children want to know about their own ancestors' record on
treatment of their slaves, it may be quite difficult.  Edward Ball
tracked down the descendants of people who were once slaves on the
extensive Ball plantations here in South Carolina and recorded their
stories in his _Slaves in the Family_ .  It did not make members of his
family very happy to have those questions asked though, especially as
Ball seems not to have been interested in securing some sort of
after-the-fact absolution from them; he simply wanted to know.  Perhaps
that was the key to getting people to talk to him.

David Kiracofe