Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2007 07:38:13 -0800
I enjoy all this food talk, I find it historical and it helps me with my period piece novel

My sister bought a book at a garage sale with recipes of Colonial Virginia housewives, which included many we know of including Mrs Wm Broaddus and some other prominent wives, can't remember

I asked her if I can borrow it, she keeps telling me she lost it.  I know she's lying, she's afraid she won't get it back

Patti

[log in to unmask] wrote: Oh come on, Q....
Lighten up and join in.
I'd love to hear what you have to say about your edible Southern roots, if
you have them.
I think that food is always a vital part of any society....and one can never
go very far in any direction in the South without talking about or hearing
about a Southerner's favorite subject : food.
As I mentioned earlier, Southerners went for so long with so little to eat
(a  matter of historical significance), that they became, more or less,
obsessed with food. That's history, my dear. History. I think some of us are
considering these submissions to this List as a sort of documentation, if
you will, of what was really, really important to us Southerners. I went to
school up North (Boston and Vermont) and I don't think that Northerners
have this regional obsession with what they got to eat...I know that in the
North that the Italians and Jews and Poles, etc. all have their favorite
foods and can get competitive about whose family has the best way of fixing
those foods but they never seemed riveted about food the way Southerners can
get....  down here we are still in a state of wonder about a lot of food
related things. I think it's really neat that this List exists and will
serve as a way to preserve some of these historically important matters.
Cheers!
Deane Mills