From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2007 09:47:34 -0700
If the education was so wonderful, where are the writings by these Indian
students? This is the point I continue to make. There is an absence of
writings by Native who were sent to these schools. The writings are from a
European perspective and of course there is going to be no criticism. It is
no different than Europeans who wrote about the happy slaves, picking
cotton, and singing in the fields. I am a descendant of Indians who resided
in Colonial Virginia, and heard none of those happy stories growing up. In
fact there was little to talk about, because my ancestors fled Virginia to
avoid being killed or deported to Indian-territory. We also heard horror
stories about Carlisle school, and the Indian Children sent there. One of my
Great-Great Grandmothers, lost her entire family, and until her death did
not know what had happened to them. I don't believe anyone would try to step
in the shoes of Jewish people, and try to explain away the holocaust. Yet,
it seems to be acceptable to do exactly that when it comes to Natives and
blacks in America.

The only people who can describe what happened and its' impact are the ones
who were affected by the events.

Anita