From:
"Finkelman, Paul <[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2010 00:29:22 -0400
I find this discussion a little odd, since all counties exist under the constitution and laws of the state, it is hard to figure out how an execution is not by "the commonwealth"

Question:  who executed John Brown?  The County  or the Commonwealth?  Was he convicted of "treason" against the county?
Was Nat Turner executed for breaking the laws of the County?
Just because people were executed locally, does not mean the  state was not executing them?
An appeal for pardon was to the governor, was it not?  It was not to the county judges who also served as the "executive branch" of the county.

Paul Finkelman
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law and Public  Policy
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, NY  12208-3494

518-445-3386 (o)