Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:14:50 EST
        I think the best indication of the legitimacy, at least in the minds
of Southerners, of their overriding allegiance to the state over the federal
government, and the legitimacy of state sovereignty, is found in Lee's
refusal to accept the command on the Union army over his allegiance to
Virginia.  By all indications, Lee was a thoughtful and educated man of
personal integrity who was apparently respected by all who knew him.  His
position was not that of some wild, rabid secessionist, slave owner.  I think
you have to consider the issue of the perceived legitimacy of Southern
sovereignty in the context of the man and come to the conclusion that this
was not some theory ginned up at the last moment by wealth white slaveowners
in an attempt to save slavery (although there may have been many who seized
on it for that purpose).

JDS