From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2007 15:00:23 -0500
I was very moved by the comments of Langdon Hagan-Long. This is exactly the
attitude that should be pervasive in Virginia, not unique.

I would like to hope that when Langdon goes to the next reunion, he will go
as a "member of the family", perhaps contributing to the food, or perhaps
bearing gifts for all the people his family once "owned". T-shirts for the
occasion, a trinket for the Christmas tree, something reminiscent of the old
plantation. Perhaps if records of the plantation still exist that can
pinpoint the births and deaths of the ancestors of these good souls, they
could be made available. A lot of African-Americans are as interested in
their "heritage" as are white folks. Making copies of family records could
be a great assist.

But, most of all, be a part of the family created by his ancestors. Tell
others of what is now, and hope it gets so infectous that it becomes routine
in Virginia, even among families whose ancesters were "stinkers".

And, in the meantime, if all we are asked to do is to apologize as a state
for the harm rendered, do it with honesty and humility, and be thankful that
retribution isn't being demanded. As surely as Virginians identify with
their ancestors to celebrate their great deads, they can idenity with the
need to make good on their dastardly deeds.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.erols.com/apembert