From:
Megan M Isely <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:42:06 -0500
Diana:

It really kind of depends what you are looking for.  There is no entity
in Illinois called Library of Illinois equivalent to the Library of
Virginia.

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign does have a University
Archives.  (http://www.library.uiuc.edu/archives).  You can check their
web site but their focus is more University history.  There is also a
departmental library dedicated to Illinois history
(http://www.library.uiuc.edu/ihx).  I used this library when I was a
student at UIUC; they had things like the Illinois state censuses on
microfilm and a collection of county histories.

There are also the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library in Springfield
(the state capital) that encompasses the old Illinois State Historical
Library.  (http://www.alplm.org/library/genealogy.html)  They have a
good run of newspapers on microfilm for the state of Illinois as well as
printed books like county histories.

Also in Springfield is the Illinois State Archives
(http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/archives/archives.html).
They have a collection of genealogy databases online and do have some
mail services.  There are also regional archives that are part of the
state system called IRAD (information is on the web site).  In each
Archives Region the local archives collects materials for those
counties.  You would need to look at the information about the
particular regional archive that covered your county of interest for
what they had and how it could be accessed.  The IRADs are located on
other university campuses in Illinois and tend to have lots of student
helper staff.

My email program did not create the URLs as live links so you will need
to copy and paste them into your browser.

I hope this helps.

An Illinoisan relocated to Wisconsin.