From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:28:20 -0400
Like all my projects, once bitten, I go hook, line and sinker.  I spent an afternoon with a rep from OCLC and now know more than I ever thought possible about scanning documents to .TIFF and thence to .PDF where applicable.

My vintage 2002 flatbed scanner doe not has software to support PDF and at 5 years old, it is on its last leg.  So I really want an excuse to get a new scanner.  I have about 1000 pages of books and pamphlets, mostly half-legal size or 8.5 x 11, therefore the automatic document feeder really looks good at this price.  I know I have to take the books apart, and ideally should have two copies to pass through the scanner to make fronts and backs in a logical sequence.

The Canon DR1210C looks great to me..... Fast, can go directly to PDF, has Adobe 7.0 which will let me concatenate PDF files all without regressing into WORD.  At 340 bucks, it looks affordable.

I could find no review of it, so maybe it is new.  Does anybody out there have any experience with the DR1210C and can recommend yes or no?  Or maybe another one in the same general price range.  Free copy of THE CABELLS AND THEIR KIN IN THE CIVIL WAR in all its PDF glory to the first couple of respondants.  It is 18 MB in PDF which I understand since it is over 10MB will be blocked by many EMail handlers, so send me your snail mail address to collect your reward.

Randy Cabell
The Scanner of Boyce