From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2008 16:04:43 -0700
There was so much mixing and matching going on back then, nothing would surprise me.  There was a man on Oprah many years ago whose father was passing for white, until he went bankrupt. That is when they found out their grandmother was African American.  Many of those able to pass went as far north as Canada (and all states in between), and passed as white. Entire lines of my family have changed their racial identity over the generations.  The only time the powers that be become involved is when they wanted to declare someone Mulatto, Colored, Negro or black.

In Jefferson's days a lot of assumptions were made, including about race.  Many of the genealogies of our leaders are incomplete. If you read them carefully you will see that their are gaps, and many dead end lines. This is not just with Jefferson, but Washington, Monroe, and several others from that ilk. This is not a new discussion it has been going on in the African American community for quite a while.  Remember we went places, and heard things, that the average white person did not. After all no one was going to believe anything coming out of a black servants mouth. That is why it is best too keep an open mind when looking into these family histories.

Happy Hunting!!
Anita