From:
Joe Chandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 09:31:57 -0800
As a possible descendant of one of these "Maids for
Virginia," I have investigated the sources at great
length. Basically, there have been three or four very
goods articles about them through the years. You may
find all of them in PERSI (the Periodical Source

Someone at the Library of Virginia can probably give
you a complete list of sources on this subject, but
one that readily shows up on the LVA website is as
follows:

Call Number    HQ1438.V8 M15
Author    McIlwaine, H. R. (Henry Read), 1864-1934.
Title    The maids who came to Virginia in 1620 and
1621 for husbands / by H.R. McIlwaine.
Material    p. [105]-113 ; 24 cm.
Gen. note    Caption title.
Subject - Corporate    Virginia Company of London
Subject - Topical    Women -- Virginia -- History
In    nnas Reviewer. vol. 1, no. 4 (April 1, 1921)

holdings (1)    All items
System Number    000198515

The Maids certainly were not all from orphanages or
prisons -- in fact most if not all very NOT such
people. The criteria laid down by the Virginia Company
in London was that they be maidens of good families
and good reputation. They were screened, probably
interviewed, etc., according to VC records.

Unfortunately, the names of the maids who arrived on
the first 1 or 2 ships (ca. June 1620) have been lost,
as is the case with the one who may have been my
ancestor. I found her in a separate record (which was
only referenced in the Colonial Records Project, not
copied, and CRP didn't mention her as a Maid, but the
original document that I ordered from the Public
Record Office in London did). Clearly, this document
(a 1624/5 "deposition" in a lawsuit involving Virginia
property) should have been copied for the CRP because
this maid -- first name Margry -- m. Reverend William
Mease, founding minister at St. John's Church,
Hampton, 1610-11.

jc