From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 07:10:06 -0500
A recent special on THE HISTORY Channel was on POW camps for German and Italian prisoners, mainly in the south and midwest in WWII.  Of course it got my attention when the Germans while waiting at a station in Kansas burst forth with PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES IN YOUR OLD KIT BAG!!  (in German of course.)

My wife lived in Columbia SC during WWII and recalls not only German prisoners there, but some who acted as life guards at the swimming pool for military families at Ft. Jackson.  Were there any such camps in Virginia, and did the prisoners have a more or less free run like that?

I recall as a lad an Italian POW camp in White Sulphur Springs, WV, and that the beautiful giant white hotel was painted OD green, as a military hospital.  But I don't recall any other camps.

Randy Cabell