From:
Gregg Kimball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:51:16 -0500
Actually, I think there is a "burden of proof" on every poster on this list
to back up unsubstantiated generalizations.  I haven't seen a single
reference to a secondary or primary source in your own messages.

For example, please point me to the clause in Article IV of the U.S.
Constitution that ensures the right of states to secede from the Union.
Obviously if the matter is as clear cut as you say, it must have been
explicitly spelled out there as a power of the states.

Also, please explain to me how slavery was "not in Lincoln's agenda" before
the war in light of the speeches made during the Lincoln-Douglas debates.
Was no reference made to slavery in these debates (the texts of which are
easily viewed online)?   Didn't Lincoln at the very least argue against
slavery's extension?

In fact, Lincoln asked some questions in these debates that certainly bear
on the issue at hand.  For instance, why is it that the supposedly states'
rights South happily relied on FEDERAL power to recapture fugitive slaves?
Wouldn't they consider it a violation of the sovereignty of non-slaveholding
states?  In a similar vein, where was the Southern outcry when the U.S.
Supreme Court upheld the Dred Scott decision?  Seems like the poor,
overpowered South was doing pretty well in their quest for slavery extension
by federal means.  Perhaps a search for a different kind of empire?

I have no interest in mythologizing Lincoln and he certainly had his warts.
I especially don't care for some of his actions on basic rights of protest
during the war.  Of course, Jefferson Davis didn't do so well in that area,
either.

Gregg

Gregg D. Kimball
Director of Publications