Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2006 00:41:53 -0400
Jeremy:  I am sorry that my quote that people on this list that are
discussing the article in the Washington Post are perhaps treating the
continued concerns about the middle passage as a joke or a lark that was
quoted by myself.  Some European-Americans in a lot of ways do not (or
perhaps cannot) feel the deep pain within when this very worn out subject
continues to come up on a daily basis.  Many people (it now seems to me)
are blaming the many African people who participated in this as the main
perpetrators of blacks being enslaved in the American colonies.  Did the
people in charge in these western African nations build the boats to send
these captives of war here?  Could they see into the near future the brutal
plantation society that was the eventual by-product of  the result of this?
Was this planned by them and only by them? No.  You are right and so am I
because it indeed does take two to tango,plan and fight the war,enslave the
person,ship them away from their home lands and separate them from friends
and families.

For once on this forum could we see people of color as survivors?  Could we
not look at their ancestors who survived this most brutal of conquests as
the true winners? This is the 21st Century and we have people like Tiger
Woods not only winning golf  tournaments but building youth organizations
that have things for all of our children for the future,NBC Commentator
Lester Holt risking his life to present first hand accounts of the conflict
in the Middle East along with Ann Curry and also July's successful space
shuttle mission which featured a black female astronaut successfully
working in space along with a racially mixed team of talented individuals.
Yes this is a discussion board that is discussing the past and rightly so
but let's admit that it was sad,selfish individuals on both sides of the
Atlantic along with certain countries in Europe and Western Africa that
started this mess in the first place.  And it is up to us to show this for
what it is and not blame one group of people for the downfall of their "own
kind".  Jane Steele,MA.

Post)