From:
"Lonny J. Watro" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 11:03:03 -0500
Harold and all,

I realize this is a bit off topic for this list, but I think it is important
since many of you teach history.

I just get so dissappointed when documentaries scew history for the general
population. You know most viewers will never go any farther in researching
the subject and take the documentary as the way it actually was. Unless some
great high school or college history teacher uses it to elaborate in class.
I suppose they were trying to protect GW's reputation. Because they kept
saying, "You must remember George Washington was only 20 years old and
niave. He was eager to prove himself for a British command." But I didn't
want to see the story through GW's eyes. I wanted to see the story through
historians eyes. Oh well, so much for what I wanted, eh? (haha).

Thanks for your reply, Harold. Guess I'll just have to stick to my books for
my learning. The movies will never be good learning devices for history I
suppose. They are more like novels than factual history books. Too bad.
Because the students today like movies and multimedia. The people who
produce these types of movies should put more people on their staff who have
degrees and experience in educational technology, as well as degrees in
history and experience in teaching it at different levels, IMHO. Then maybe
they'd have a more usable product for the classrooms.

Lonny Watro