From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2012 14:52:06 -0800
What does hunting down fugitive slaves in Pennsylvania have to do with the "heat of that battle?"  What does seizing free born blacks have to do with the heat of the battle.  Absolutely nothing.

Nor does shooting, dismembering, or castrating capture soldiers AFTER the battle was over, which Confederate troops did  (Although I do not think Lees soldiers were ever accused of mutilations)  or enslaving captured US soldier who were black AFTER the battle was over?

My Southmayd talks like a combat veteran, and said earlier he had two tours in S.E. Asia. Surely he knows the difference between the heat of the battle and after the enemy has surrendered and been disarmed?  Surely he knows the proper way to treat a POW.  So, why would he imagine it was different in the 1860s?  We condemned North Vietnam for mistreating our POWs and the Japanese for using POWs as slave labor.  Why won't Mr. Southmayd apply the same principles the Confederacy?

----
Paul Finkelman
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, NY  12208

518-445-3386 (p)