From:
Steve Corneliussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2012 09:40:27 -0500
- - - - - - - - -
> From: Paul Finkelman
> Sadly much of this Wikipedia entry is wrong -- why are we not surprised?
> This is the danger of using a source that has no scholarly oversight.
- - - - - - - - -
I see what these commenters mean, and I hear similar concerns from the
scientists who surround me in my day job. But at the same time, doesn't some
real usefulness emerge from the evolving practice of crowd-sourcing
knowledge with the Internet?  What shifted me in this direction was that
often-cited 2005 article in the international science journal Nature. It
carried the headline "Special Report: Internet encyclopaedias go head to
head: Jimmy Wales' Wikipedia comes close to Britannica in terms of the
accuracy of its science entries, a Nature investigation finds."
(http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v438/n7070/full/438900a.html)
Wikipedia's possible usefulness doesn't undermine the advice to students not
to use encyclopedia articles as term-paper sources, and it doesn't reduce
the weight of Professor Finkelman's caution that serious scholarship
requires serious peer review.  Nevertheless I believe I see Jeffersonian
dimensions here -- not just technological but intellectual and social. So I
usually speak up for Wikipedia and for what it represents, in principle, in
the Internet age. Thanks.
Steven T. Corneliussen
http://www.physicstoday.org/daily_edition/science_and_the_media