From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2006 10:13:06 -0400
On Apr 17, 2006, at 9:44 AM, Phebe wrote:

> I have finally located an old cemetery and have gotten permission,
> from the
> owner, to walk through it.  The cemetery is very old and the owner
> tells me
> that she remembers her grandmother telling her that people came in the
> 1930's to look at it.  Since then no one has been in there to look
> or clean.
>
> My question to the group:  what dangers await me in an old
> cemetery.  What
> should I look out for (snakes etc.).  How best can I protect myself.
Snakes, ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes, etc. Just exercise common sense
by not stepping where you can't see the ground, not reaching your
hand into places, etc.

Poison ivy, bamboo briars, other plants with thorns and things of
that ilk are best worked around by wearing long sleeved shirts and
gloves and by planning where you want to go in the cemetery to avoid
most of them. A pair of rose clippers work really well with bamboo
briars.

> I have been told to take baking flour -- that will help bring the old
> carvings out.
You don't want to rub the stones as the stuff growing on them can
protect them. Go on an overcast day and take a powerful flashlight to
shine across the stone and that will generally bring out the
inscription.

Also, check with your county historical society to make sure it isn't
already recorded as some have inventories done or in progress. If it
is not recorded, then getting photos of each stone, recording the
layout of the stones and then recording each inscription so that you
can then record the cemetery with the Department of Historic
Resources will ensure that the info is there for others to use.

Lyle Browning
Archaeologist and Rueful Veteran of tick, chigger, snake, malicious
plant and animal wars while recording history.