From:
paul finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 22:50:53 -0600
New England did not want to leave the Union in 1812, and did not; a few radical
federalists did, and it killed their party; one of the things they hated about
the constitution was the immense power it handed slavery and the South; by
counting slaves for electing presidents through the electoral college, the South
had been able to defeat Adams in 1800 (without the electoral votes from slaves,
Jefferson loses to Adams).  But in fact New England did not leave the Union or
even try to do so.

Your theory about slavery being too expensive has been demolished by every
serious economist and economic historian who has looked that slavery.  It is a
nice myth that has no basis in reality.

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor of Law