From:
Pat Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2010 13:03:17 -0700
Eric,

Genealogy as a hobby can be relatively inexpensive, if all you want to do is
add information to your family tree based on what others have posted on the
Internet.  But we all know that most of that is not sourced and a great deal
of it is incorrect.

Many of the Administrators of website (such as the USGENWEB sites) work full
time jobs and have other obligations, so the websites are often not updated.
But most have plenty of good information on them.  It isn't always easy to
find people with computer knowledge to do the necessary website work.  I
applaud all the site and list administrators who volunteer their precious
time.

Few people want to spend the time to transcribe or abstract records.  I have
spent the last 13+ years abstracting county court records, etc. for
genealogical publications.  For the thousands of hours I have put to this
task, it is beneficial for both myself and my publisher to receive some sort
of monetary return.  No one who writes genealogy books makes money; they do
so out of love for the subject.  But it is books such as this which are
essential for a researcher and a mainstay for genealogical libraries and
societies.  And those books are what people use to provide information to
fellow researchers over the Internet.  I volunteer my time to do free
look-ups for people in both my references and those of others which I have
purchased, as do many authors.  Some authors refuse look-ups, expecting you
to buy their books instead, which is their right to do so.  One of my
published CD's is 2,000+ full sized pages long, two-column format, and took
me more than six months to compile.  Do you feel that information should be
posted for free on the Internet?  Would you be willing to work at such a
task day after day and year after year and without some sort of small
financial payback for your time just so others can pursue their hobby for
free?  I don't believe many people would.

One disappointment for people who do free look-ups is the lack of response
from the beneficiary of that information.  It amazes me how many people post
queries on email groups and message boards and never bother to thank the
individual making the effort to help them.  I've had people email me writing
nothing more than, "send me all the information you have about the XXXX
families."  They expect me to use my time, searching through dozens of
references, to do their research for free.  People like that tend to put a
damper on volunteering.

Don't get me wrong, it would be wonderful if there were more free
information on the Internet.  But like anything else in life, if you can't
afford to do it you might want to find a different hobby or barter your time
with another researcher.  If you can afford to subscribe to the paid sites
and find them beneficial, then continue to support those businesses putting
in thousands of man hours and dollars to provide that information for all.
If you have hours to spare and records to abstract, than your efforts will
be more appreciated.  If you feel that a county you are interested in lacks
volunteers, then contact the email and website administrator and ask them to
put out a call for volunteers.  People often need that extra nudge to get
them thinking in that direction.

I don't think genealogy is dead, just hitting a slight dip in the road.

I must take this opportunity to commend the Library of Virginia for its
Interlibrary Loan program.  The microfilms of Virginia county court records
have afforded me the ability to write genealogical publications for several
counties in northern Virginia even though I live in New Mexico.  It is an
inexpensive program for the consumer and one that is invaluable.  Thanks you
Library of Virginia!

Pat Duncan