From:
"S. Corneliussen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2011 15:32:22 -0500
Everybody I know in the civic realm in Tidewater, even those who have disagreed in the past with Mr. Oder on important issues, believes this new Fort Monroe Authority director to be a nice man and a solid public servant. All wish him well.

But no one should mistake what's going on with this expert in "land development," as the governor has now put it with an admirable candor recalling that of July 2010 from a member of the opposite party, Sen.Warner -- who admitted on "HearSay" in Norfolk that real estate constitutes the central focus of Fort Monroe's post-Army planning. Our leaders share a grim bipartisan intention: to underdevelop Fort Monroe's full potential by overdeveloping its real estate, even though this will actually cost us money in the long run.

The Richmond Times-Dispatch tells me that it intends to print my latest Fort Monroe op-ed tomorrow, August 11. I hope Richmond-area Virginia History forum participants will give it a look in the morning, and I hope others in the forum will give a look to the copy that I'll submit for posting here (which I may do, the RTD tells me, as long as I cite the newspaper).

Thanks.

Steven T. Corneliussen
Poquoson, Virginia