From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 12:29:57 EDT
Andrew,

I have read most of the other responses.  My own response is a little  bit
different, though I think Eric mentioned plat maps.  I think that if  you really
want a picture of the location of your roads before the National Park  bought
everybody out, you should consider going to the newspapers, libraries,
genealogy societies, historical societies in the individual counties and regions
(Virginia is big on regional libraries) that were involved in that buyout  of
the original settlers (which was NOT a pretty  picture).

My experience is that these resources are more likely to have older maps,
etc.  They also might have old local phone and business directories  with maps
in the front showing the primary arteries in the counties, so that  people can
locate their neighbors.  Often plat maps don't highlight roads  because they
are designed towards real estate concerns/property  lines and not towards just
being, well maps for the common person  travelling.    Plat maps also aren't
topgraphical as a  rule.

As an online start, I would recommend that you join the rootsweb  (genealogy)
mailing lists for each of these counties and their neighbors.   Then place
your query there.  Most of these lists have subscribers who  are folks who still
live there or did recently or have good contacts.   Who knows.  They may know
people that are still holed up in the  Park making moonshine, but I doubt
they'll tell you!  (I read too much  Sharyn McCrumb).

What I do know is that there are still hard feelings amongst the families
and their descendants who were displaced by the Park.  They may be  happy to
help you and your project.

Here is the Rootsweb link for the Virginia Mailing lists.   Instructions on
subscribing are at each link

_http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/usa/VA/_
(http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/usa/VA/)

Best Regards,
Janet Hunter

In a message dated 9/20/2006 11:19:41 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,