From:
Elizabeth Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2007 07:29:23 -0500
This was not something that existed only in Virginia in the
previous
century. One of my great-grandmothers trained as teacher before
her marriage in 1910: after she married (fellow Education
professional),
she attempted to return to teaching to help support her four
daughters, but was unable to do so due to being married. (She
was in North Carolina.)

Elizabeth Whitaker