Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:22:52 -0400
Kathryn Coombs' list is outstanding; I'm pleased to see that she included
many figures which I was going to suggest, especially early political
notables, military men, and even athletes.   Don't forget VA signers of the
U.S. Constitution.  Did I miss seeing educator Booker T. Washington in all
the lists?    20th Century military leaders include Marine Commandant Gen.
Archibald Vandergrift, who  won the Medal of Honor as commander at
Guadalcanal, a Pennsylvanian who went to VMI, and the most famous Marine of
them all, Lt. Gen. Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller.   Possibly an early 20th
Cen. Marine general, Joseph Pendleton?    Commodore Uriah Phillips Levy,
USN, was the saviour of Monticello.   For athletes, add Hall of Famer Moses
Malone of Petersburg HS and Allen Iverson in basketball, and in baseball,
one of my childhood favorites,  longtime Phillies infielder Granville
"Granny" Hamner of Richmond.

Clifford Tobias, Ph.D.
Northeast Region, National Park Service
Phila., Pa.