From:
Anna Berkes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2009 15:22:21 -0500
Dear Phebe,

We only know Thomas Jefferson's paternal ancestors with absolute
certainty back to his great-grandfather, also named Thomas Jefferson.
Beyond that, no one has established his lineage for certain.  There is
an article on our website that gives a general summary of the known
possibilities, at
http://wiki.monticello.org/mediawiki/index.php/Welsh_Ancestry.  The
Jeaffresons of St. Christopher's (St. Kitts) are one theory, but no one
has been able to conclusively prove their connection to people we know
are Thomas Jefferson's ancestors - there's a "missing link,"
essentially.  Recent research by our own staff has cast further doubt on
the Caribbean Jeaffreson connection.

To my knowledge there's no real monolithic published work on Jefferson's
ancestry, but there are some references in the article I linked you to
above that may be of interest.

Hope this helps...

Anna Berkes

Research Librarian
Jefferson Library
P.O. Box 316
Charlottesville, VA 22902
Phone: (434) 984-7544 | Fax: (434) 984-7546
http://www.monticello.org/library/index.html
Jefferson Library Blog: http://jeffersonlibrary.wordpress.com