From:
Bill Trout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:23:16 -0500
In 2012 the canal society plans to celebrate Chief Justice John Marshall's pioneering survey between the eastern and western waters - from the James to the New River. A flyer and an article about the survey have just been posted on www.vacanals.org/2012.
    Our information is almost entirely from Hobson's The Papers of John Marshall, which includes the survey report, and from Andrew Alexander's map, on the LVA web site. Are any other records or diaries known from this voyage?
    We would be glad to work with others who would like to celebrate this important but little known event, and to share our flyer.
    To "make easy the way" (as Washington put it) to 2012, the society will be holding its annual meeting on April 15-17, 2011 in the canal town of Buchanan, Virginia, to celebrate its bicentennial. All are welcome to participate. Details are on www.vacanals.org.

Bill Trout