From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 12:07:10 -0500
On Mar 8, 2007, at 11:49 AM, Sunshine49 wrote:

> I never realized there was copper in VA. in any great quantity.
That was the biggest part of the problem. There wasn't a great
quantity, at least not enough to be particularly economically viable.

> I thought it was all traded down from the Great Lakes area. I know
> it was highly prized by the natives. It would be interesting to
> speculate why they traded it away in Va, and didn't keep the bulk
> of it.
The Virgilina District copper has scant mention of copper nodules.
Raw pure copper was what the NA's worked with, as they did not smelt
the ores. It may be that the scant surface amounts had already been
picked clean prior to European involvement. Then European settlers
with mineral experience saw the ores and went after them.

> Did they carry it away and hide it elsewhere for safekeeping from
> the whites?
By Indian traders I meant colonists who traded with Indians. The
nearest and biggest trading center was at Occanneechee where the
great trades routes converged. Byrd sent pack trains with 80 animals
down there at the height of it. He got furs and skins back.

> Did they have to trade it to other tribes for items they were short
> of, once the English interrupted their old ways and patterns?
That's a slight misapplication of intent. NA trade was astounding in
its reach. A paper presented at a recent conference showed 4000BC
trade in obsidian between PA, NY and another eastern state where the
nearest obsidian source was Wyoming. That opened a few eyes. The
English didn't disrupt old ways and patterns in the frontier as much
as they used and augmented them for their own enrichment. Byrd made
his fortune in the Indian trade. Granted, it declined over time due
to European encroachment on NA territories but west of the Fall Line
was still largely frontier for a good deal of the 18th century.

> So much we don't know about native cultures! Well, maybe there's
> still hope of finding an old copper mine, last year they did find
> that old mine in Stafford County that the natives had worked and
> that they think John Smith visited. Just a few steps ahead of the
> developers...
Whoa now, take that with a grain of salt. You have a hole in the
ground that may have been a mine, but what came out of it is not
definitely NA, and conjoining that with a site that Smith may have
visited is pure speculation. The number of people running around
looking at mineral veins in the 19th century in VA was astounding.
You'd have to look at the geology, where it was in relation to the
mine and see if NA's used any of the minerals in the mine, look at
the toolmarks (there are no known NA mines as they simply did not dig
tunnels; although they did exploit gravel deposits that outcropped on
the surface for several feet back into the slopes so whatever was in
Stafford was not a NA mine).

Lyle Browning, RPA