From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 22:42:40 EDT
Hello Again,

In my earlier post on Stephen Hopkins, the Sea Venture & the Mayflower, I
neglected to note the online version of the passenger list for the "Supply",
which was a companion ship to the Mayflower, but its departure was delayed by
three weeks and, unlike the Mayflower, made it to Virginia, which was the
Mayflower's original (official) destination as well.  That the Mayflower
ended up disgorging its settlers in Plymouth, where the Supply might also
have ended up if they had been travelling together, really makes one (well me
anyway) pause and consider factors that shaped history, and U.S. history in
particular, and my history even more particularly.  It is likely that Thomas
Baugh on the Supply, and the first known Baugh in Virginia, father, uncle,
brother, cousin of the John Baugh and William Baugh, both also in VA by 1639.
 Their relationship is unknown due to the destruction of pre-1677 Henrico Co
records.  What if they had all met in Massachusetts?  (One answer is that I
might know their wives' first names, not to mention surnames!)

Anyway,  the Supply list is here --
http://searches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ifetch2?/u1/data/va+index+7428119354388+F

Finally, other online relevant to this discussion documentary resources I
find extremely interesting, are the Charters for the Virginia Company, The
first (1606), second (1609) and third (1612) are here, with subscribers
(lengthy), for the second & third.  It is my understanding, though I could be
wrong and most of you know better than I do, that the rules for colonial
governance set out therein are what Stephen Hopkins and his cohorts declared
null and void once the Sea Venture's passengers dragged themselves on shore
at Bermuda (and not Virginia).  That must have been quite an interesting
encounter, considering the status of Gates, Summers, etc.
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Anthology/Pav/SocStudies/charter1.html
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Anthology/Pav/SocStudies/charter2.html
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Anthology/Pav/SocStudies/charter3.html

Another wonderful website with all manner of texts of historical documents
including earlier European ones (ie, Magna Carta) and/or links there to is
here --

http://www.exlib.org/index.htm

Best Regards,  Janet Hunter