From:
Patricia Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:39:32 -0500
John,

I can't say for sure that Virginians followed the standard European traditions, but I would imagine they did.  A wedding ring from the groom for the bride is an ancient practice. Wedding rings began to be routinely exchanged in Britain and the continent at least by the 9th century.

I teach European Women's History at Randolph-Macon, and one of the points I drill into my students is that the wedding band may be a symbol of eternal (without end) love NOW, but originally, it was a pledge of a marriage jointure, or dower, by the groom to the bride in case of his early death( land, goods, tools, whatever).  Whether she had sole control over the dower fluctuated by time period and nation, but the ring was the pledge of economic support (the dower), and the exchange was the official ceremony, usually held at the outer door of the church.  Afterwards they may have gone into church and had a mass.

It was not until a century or two later that the mass became the official part of the wedding, and the ceremony was moved inside the church.  So, it would be odd if wedding rings, routinely exchanged back in Britain, would not have been exchanged here.  As far as diamond engagement rings go, I believe that tradition is relatively recent and still not universal, even in the U.S.

Pat Watkinson

Library of Virginia / Randolph-Macon College